Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Cranberry Sauce


I don't particularly like cranberry sauce, but I realize that's just me. I wasn't even thinking about it at all until I came across this very simple recipe last night. I happened to have all the ingredients, and here we are, with cranberry sauce a last-minute addition to the menu.

The recipe is very basic, and quick, and comes from the November 2008 edition of Everyday Food Magazine
.

I may not like cranberry sauce (whether I will like this version remains to be seen), but I have to admit it is beautiful and will be a lovely addition to the table. And, what do you know, had I actually planned ahead for this, I could have made it a week ago!

Incidentally, it's not that I don't like cranberries--I do! I love them in bread, cookies, cakes. Just not as sauce. And that's okay.


Basic Cranberry Sauce
Makes 2 cups

In a medium saucepan, combine 1 bag (12 ounces) cranberries, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, and 1 cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cook until cranberries are soft, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and let cool to room temperature. To store, refrigerate in an airtight container, up to 1 week.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin