Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sunday Morning Brunch


This recipe comes from my grandma. I got it when I was looking through her recipe box this summer, and I decided to prepare it for a gathering of part of Number One's family here at the ranch. This breakfast casserole is especially convenient for a large gathering because you put it together the night before, and refrigerate the casserole overnight. I doubled the recipe and used a huge pan that I have, but the recipe as written here makes a 9x13 pan regular size.

It is quite easy to put together, even after several glasses of wine. Or perhaps, ahem, many glasses of wine. Anyway, it's easy. And delicious...I love mushrooms, and sausage, and eggs, and the flavors combine wonderfully in this casserole. Rave reviews all around, and just a few pieces left over this morning.


Sunday Morning Brunch

Serves 8 to 12

8 slices bread, diced

1 pound sausage, cooked and drained

2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

1 small can mushrooms

1 dozen eggs

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup milk

1 teaspoon mustard

1 can mushroom soup, diluted with 2/3 cup milk

In large bowl, mix eggs, salt, milk, mustard and diluted soup.

In 9x13” pan, layer bread, sausage, mushrooms and cheese, cover with egg mixture. Refrigerate overnight.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin