Friday, October 17, 2008

Peking Honey Chicken Wings


I knew there was a reason I needed hoisin sauce! I accidentally bought chicken legs, but no matter. I just increased the cooking time a bit.

This recipe comes from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook, and I just thought it sounded good. Incidentally, I received a copy of the "deluxe edition" of the cookbook in the mail, but to me, it doesn't appear "deluxe" to me at all. Some of the recipes from the original book have even been deleted! They did add a chapter of "Recipes for Two," but that certainly doesn't apply to me any longer. I sent it back, happy with the original version.

This chicken is tangy and delicious. I was tempted to reduce the delectable sauce to pour over the chicken legs, but with people clamoring for dinner I decided not to. The chicken had such great flavor, and was really easy to make. H-Bomb ate two chicken legs for dinner! I recommend you try it!

Peking Honey Chicken Wings (or Legs!)

These wings are nice party food, salty and sweet at the same time. Or serve them with rice for a casual dinner. Serves 4 as a main dish, 10 as an appetizer
Cooker: Large round or oval
Setting and cook time: HIGH for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (2 to 2 1/2 hours if using legs)

4 pounds chicken wings, cut into joints, with bony wing tips reserved for stock or discarded; or 3 pounds chicken drumettes (or 4 pounds chicken legs)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup orange marmalade
6 green onions (white and green parts), finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
a few splashes of hot pepper sauce, such as Tabasco

1. Coat the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Rinse the chicken and pat dry.

2. Heat the oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the wings nicely, in batches if necessary, 3 to 5 minutes per side. As they brown, transfer to the cooker.

3. Whisk together the remaining ingredients in a medium-size bowl, and pour over the wings; stir the wings to coat evenly. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (2 to 2 1/2 hours for chicken legs). If possible, stir gently halfway through cooking with a wooden spoon, pushing the wings on the top to the bottom to coat with sauce. Serve hot or warm.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin