Monday, August 11, 2008

Frittata


This dish comes from my trusty Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook (which in my home, is quite old and well-used by now). It is a perfect way to use up leftover meat or vegetables, and is quick and easy. You can have dinner on the table in about 20 minutes!

I've used just vegetables, or a combination of meat and vegetables, depending on the leftovers. Tonight, I didn't have any leftover vegetables or meat, so I sauteed some potatoes, carrots, onions and broccoli in olive oil, until the potatoes were nicely browned and everything was cooked. I bet I had about 2 cups of vegetables, rather than the 3/4 cup the recipe calls for--it's quite forgiving, so feel free to make it your own.

There are also two ways to cook it, I prefer the oven method. But, no matter the method, there is one very important thing I must tell you. After the pan comes out of the oven or broiler, don't forget that the handle, which 9 times out of 10 is normally cool, IS FREAKIN' HOT. And trust me, it will burn you every time. You might just slide an oven mitt right over it to be safe. And have an ice pack, and perhaps a cold beer, on standby.

Frittata
A frittata is an Italian egg dish that resembles an omelet.
Makes 3 to 4 servings

6 eggs
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon butter (I used olive oil tonight, with a little salt)
3/4 cup cooked vegetables and/or meat
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan or Romano (or any kind of cheese. tonight, cheddar)

1. Beat eggs and pepper, set aside. In a 10-inch broiler-proof or oven-proof skillet cook onion and garlic in butter till tender. Stir in vegetables or meat.


Oven method: Use an oven-proof skillet. Pour egg mixture into skillet over vegetables or meat. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 15 minutes or till a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with cheese. Cut into wedges and serve.

Broiler method: Pour egg mixture into skillet over vegetables or meat. Cook over medium heat. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes or till top is just set. Sprinkle with cheese. Cut into wedges and serve.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As italian I must say I like your frittata.
Lovely blog!
Barbaraxx

Blog Widget by LinkWithin