Thursday, January 22, 2009

H-Bomb's Popovers


Last year for Christmas, I finally remembered to give H-Bomb the cookbook I'd had stashed in the cupboard for several years: Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers & Up. He's now in Kindergarten, and I know that he could have handled these recipes two years ago, but two years ago, Sawed Off was still an infant. I was tired.

Now that I have more energy, and Sawed Off will turn three soon, I am excited to welcome both of my boys into the kitchen. This morning, H-Bomb came up to me with his cookbook, proclaiming that he wanted to "make something" today. We thumbed through the recipes, and he decided on Bagel Faces and Homemade Lemon-Lime Soda Pop. However, when he discovered we would have to go to the store first for ingredients, he changed his mind and chose to make the Popovers for breakfast. (we'll make bagel faces and lemon-lime soda very soon!)

The Pretend Soup cookbook is designed primarily for children, with picture-guided recipes (along with a regular recipe for the adult helpers). The measurements are simple, and the pictures are easy to follow. As with anything new, let your child take the lead while gently encouraging them, and don't worry about a mess. Of course be cautious with the oven, etc.

For this recipe, I cracked the eggs (my eyes were half-open) and measured things. H-Bomb did everything else, from buttering the muffin tin and dumping in ingredients to scooping in the popover dough. I slid them in and out of the oven. When it's not a school morning and there isn't any sort of rush, I will let him crack the eggs and measure, while I sit back and enjoy my coffee. Soon he will be a pro.

H-Bomb was so proud and excited about his popovers, he wants to invite everyone he knows over for breakfast to share this special treat. He ate his with strawberry jam, no butter. These little things would be a treat anytime, from breakfast to dinner and beyond.


Popovers
Yield: 1 dozen

about 2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
extra butter, jam, or maple syrup for the popovers

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and melt butter.

2. Brush the insides of 12 muffin cups with melted butter.

3. Break eggs into the mixing bowl.

4. Add milk and beat well with a whisk.

5. Add flour and salt and whisk until reasonably blended--it doesn't have to be perfect.

6. Use a 1/4-cup measure with a handle to pour batter into each muffin cup They should be one-half to two-thirds full.

7. Bake 30 minutes without opening the oven.

8. Remove the muffins from the pan and prick with a fork to let the steam escape. Spread with butter and/or jam, and eat! (They also taste great dipped in maple syrup. They're not bad plain, either).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! I had this cookbook when I was younger, and loved it so much. Today, I had a craving for popovers, but I had given this cookbook away many years ago. It made me happy to find this. Its like eating a little bit of my childhood.

Min said...

That's just what I love to hear! Glad you found us. Enjoy your popovers, and Happy Holidays!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin