Friday, May 23, 2008

Cacciatore Style Chicken Thighs

At 5:00PM, with no plans for dinner, I pulled out my One-Armed Cook cookbook. I just bought chicken thighs at the store yesterday because they were on sale, and what do you know, here's a recipe for chicken thighs. Not only is it easy, I had all the ingredients on hand and it's quick! (the recipe calls for frozen onions, bottled garlic and the like, but I used fresh because that's what I've got. so it took me a bit longer for prep time, but not too much--I'll put what I used, then what they called for.)



Cacciatore Style Chicken Thighs
servings: 4 to 6
Preparation time: 5 to 10 minutes
Start to Finish time: 45 minutes

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion (1 cup frozen chopped onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon bottled chopped garlic)
1 (1-1/2 to 2-pound package chicken thighs, about 8 (I used 8)
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth (wine, baby, always wine)
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (I don't have this. I looked it up, then threw basil, oregano and thyme in the pot)

1. In a large deep skillet with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes. (I always cook onion and garlic longer)

2. Add chicken thighs, skin side down, and brown for 5 to 6 minutes. *the authors say: The extra step of browning the chicken thighs gives the recipe a real boost in flavor. It's worth those extra five minutes at the stove.*

3. Turn thighs to other side. Add wine or chicken broth, then the tomatoes and Italian seasoning.

4. Reduce the heat to low, cover; cook for 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin