Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeños


This is a recipe from Pioneer Woman's website, but she doesn't list the quantities for some reason. So here's my take on it. The quantities below used all of the cream cheese, and nearly all of the bacon. Could vary depending on size of your jalapeños, etc. but I like to have an idea before I get started.

They are awesome and delicious, and when Ree said "make about 4 or 5 times more than you think you'll need," she wasn't kiddin'. Number One and I polished off 16 of these puppies tonight, and I think we could have eaten more if I hadn't put the rest in the freezer.

Go. Make. Some. Right. Now.

Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeños

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
14 or so jalapeños, about 2-3 inches in size (I ran out of cream cheese at 28 halves)
1 lb. thick bacon, cut in thirds (she said thin, but I used thick. I tried to use thin, but it just doesn't hold up and is difficult to work with. Use thick.)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Cut jalapeños in half lengthwise, and carefully scrape out seeds and white membrane with a spoon. Fill each jalapeño half with cream cheese. Wrap each jalapeño half with 1/3 slice bacon, and secure with a toothpick. (make sure toothpicks go through each side of the jalapeño to hold)

At this point you can place the uncooked jalapeños on a baking sheet and stick them in the freezer. When individually frozen, place the jalapeños in a plastic ziploc bag and bake them when you're ready. I baked my frozen jalapeños at 375 degrees, for about 1/2 hour--just watch them. These would be an easy, make ahead appetizer for a dinner party. I plan on keeping bags of these in the freezer to pull out whenever we want!


Place jalapeños on a rack on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 minutes, until bacon is browned. (you can put them under the broiler for a minute or two to finish them off, but I didn't have to)

These are amazing.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin