Friday, June 4, 2010

Braised Chicken in Yellow Curry


In an effort to clear my sinuses, and because I was really hungry, I turned to my Quick & Easy Thai cookbook. I couldn't find the boneless chicken breasts I swear I bought, so Yellow Curry Chicken was out. I debated improvising--with a cuisine I don't know much about--and decided against it. I was intrigued by a recipe called Son-in-Law Eggs with Crispy Shallots, in which you fry hard-boiled eggs and top them with a savory tamarind sauce, but I'll save that for another time.

I chose Braised Chicken in Yellow Curry. While I was reading the recipe, I thought to myself, 3 tablespoons of red curry is a lot! But then I forgot I had thought that, and stirred in 3 tablespoons when the time was right. You know, 3 tablespoons is a LOT of red curry! If you like it extra spicy, go ahead and add that much. Next time I'll cut it down by half. I had to stir in some yogurt (as usual) and it still cleared my sinuses!

But, the dish is tasty and not too hard to throw together. Try it and see!



Braised Chicken in Yellow Curry

gai goh-lae

2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 pounds chicken thighs or any combination of chicken pieces (we used some legs)
3 tablespoons yellow curry paste, OR 3 tablespoons red curry paste plus 1 tablespoon curry powder
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons fish sauce
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, OR 2 tablespoons white vinegar plus 2 teaspoons sugar (we used lime)
1 tablespoon palm sugar OR brown sugar (we used palm)

In a 3-quart saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken pieces in two batches, turning once or twice until golden and then transferring the browned pieces to a medium bowl.

Reduce heat to medium and add the curry paste to the saucepan. Cook, stirring and mashing, until the paste is fragrant and softened, about 2 minutes. Return the chicken and its juices to the pan and add the coconut milk and chicken broth. Bring to a gentle boil, adjust heat to maintain a lively simmer, and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until chicken is tender and cooked through. Stir in the fish sauce, lime juice, and palm sugar and remove from heat. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot or warm.

3 comments:

Chris said...

I have to get me some curry paste and give this a shot. I like the heat.

Min said...

I like it, I'm just a wimp! Don't forget the fish sauce! =)

Merut said...

I have yet to find a great curry recipe (although frankly I have not tried very many), but this one definitely looks worth a try. Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin