Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Mary's Green Curry Turkey Burgers with Asian-Style Cucumber Relish

When Mary of One Perfect Bite stopped by my blog today with her sweet comment on Make Your Own Pizza, I knew I wanted to stop by hers. I had been at a loss for what to make for dinner. I know we all have those moments, mine just seems to be dragging on for a week or two.

Mary's recipe for Green Curry Turkey Burgers was the first one I saw, and it was all I needed. I had an afternoon trip to the store planned (H-Bomb is always always hungry when he gets out of school and needs a snack or three for the 45-minute ride home), so I was able to pick up the few ingredients I needed.

I did finally find ground turkey in the freezer section of the teeny tiny grocery store, but it's not anywhere near what sounds like Mary's freshly-ground turkey. This turkey was too finely ground, like mush to be precise, and when I mixed it up with the relish, there was no way it would hold its shape. I added a cup of oats to the mix, and it was just right.

I'm glad I used two whole pounds of turkey, because the green curry I had (I only used a teaspoon, I swear!) is s p i c y, and I've got two young, hungry boys to feed! I didn't adjust any of the other ingredients, other than what is noted below. I felt like my burgers were quite large, so I cooked them for about 6 minutes on a side. I wanted to grill them, but I was worried about how they would hold up, so I just fried them in a bit of olive oil.

These burgers are everything I thought they'd be. They were delicious, and slightly spicy, and a nice contrast of flavors and textures. The curry is a natural with the turkey, and the cucumber relish is such a perfect complement. The boys (ages 4 & 6 1/2, remember) didn't care for the burgers. Sawed Off at most of his bun, H-Bomb ate some cucumber relish with the onions picked out. Number One and I loved them.


Thank you Mary, for your lovely comment and your delicious recipe! I'm so happy you chose today to stop by!


Green Curry Turkey Burgers with Asian-Style Cucumber Relish

...from the kitchen of One Perfect Bite

Ingredients:


1 large English cucumber, cut in 1/4 to 1/2-inch dice
1/4 cup finely minced red onion
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh hot green chilies

1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt, divided use

1 cup mayonnaise
1 to 3 teaspoons Thai-style green curry paste
1-1/4 pounds ground turkey meat (I used 2 pounds)
1 cup oats

4 lightly toasted brioche-style rolls
Garnish: Cilantro sprigs

Directions:

1) Combine vinegar, water, sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a medium sauce pan and cook, stirring occasionally, over moderate heat until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

2) Combine cucumbers, onions and chiles in a small bowl. Cover with cooled dressing and chill for several hours.

3) Combine mayonnaise, green curry paste and reserved 1 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Mix well. Remove 1/4 cup of sauce to another small bowl and stir 1/2 cup drained cucumber relish into it.

4) Add relish mixture to ground turkey and mix just until combined. Shape into 4 patties. In a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat, cook patties for 4 minutes on each side. Spread reserved mayonnaise mixture on top and bottom of warm rolls. Place a pattie on bottom half of each roll and cover with relish and sprigs of cilantro. Set roll tops in place and serve.

1 comment:

Pretty Zesty said...

This is a great combination of flavor... love the idea for a burger!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin