Sunday, February 14, 2010

Cheesy, Creamy Polenta

Cheesy, Creamy Polenta

This is a recipe I made in one of my cooking classes I took at Northshore Cookery a couple of years ago, and has become a favorite. Unfortunately, the school has since closed. I prefer to use the white corn meal over the yellow corn meal -- I think the flavor and texture of the white corn meal is more delicate, but to each his/her own. I'll post a picture the next time I make up a batch.

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:

3 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock (I usually use chicken stock, but any will work)
3/4 cup white or yellow corn meal (I use white corn meal)
3 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (I usually use closer to half a cup -- I like it cheesy!)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a heavy 3-quart non-stick saucepan, bring 2 cups of the broth to a simmer over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, mix the corn meal with the remaining cup of broth. Stir well and slowly add the corn meal miture to the bubbling broth, stirring constantly to prevent clumping. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, stir in butter and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!
Adrienne

1 comment:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Isn't Polenta the best! So easy to flavor and make special! love this

Blog Widget by LinkWithin