Monday, November 9, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

I have an alternative version of the traditional shepherd's pie that is made with just vegetables and is EXCELLENT. I wanted to attempt a more traditional shepherd's pie with meat and here it is! I found it on foodnetwork.com and it's a Alton Brown recipe. Mighty tasty and very easy to make! With mounds of mashed potatoes and meat & veggies in a tasty gravy, it is the ULTIMATE in comfort food for chilly fall evenings!

Here's what you'll need for the mashed potato top (or use your favorite mashed potato recipe!)
  • 1 1/2 lbs russet potatoes
  • 1/4 cup half n half (I used plain old milk with a bit more butter)
  • 2 oz butter
  • 3/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 egg yolk (I have to admit I've never used eggs in my mashed potatoes and I forgot when I made this recipe. Turned out just fine.
Here's what you'll need for the filling...
  • 2 Tbs canola oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 2 carrots peeled & diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb, beef or turkey (I've used turkey and beef, both good)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 Tbs flour
  • 2 tsp tomato paste (or a squirt of ketchup if you don't have it)
  • 1 cup chicken broth (or beef broth if you're using beef)
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tsp fresh rosemary (or about 1/2 tsp or so of dry)
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves (or about 1/4 tsp of dry)
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas
Peel potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a medium saucepan with water and bring to boil. Decrease heat to a simmer and cook until tender (10-15 minutes). Drain and return to pan. Add butter, salt & pepper and mash with masher or mixer. Add half n half (or milk) when the butter has melted and continue mashing/mixing until smooth. Add the yolk (if using) and stir until well combined.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Place the oil into a large saute pan and set over medium high heat. Once the oil shimmers, add the onion and carrots and saute just until they begin to take on color (3-4 minutes). Add garlic and stir to combine. Add the meat, salt & pepper and cook until browned and cooked through. Sprinkle the meat with flour and toss to coat. Add tomato paste, broth, Worcestershire, rosemary and thyme and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly (10 minutes or so) until the sauce is thickened slightly.

Add corn and peas and stir to combine. Spread evenly in a 11 x 7 baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling thru. Place on middle rack and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown.

Let set for at least 15 minutes before serving.




2 comments:

Min said...

This sounds great! I can't wait to try it. I'm also interested in comparing your veggie version...but I couldn't find it. Have you posted that one yet?

P.S. Welcome back!

Shell said...

I thought I did and was all ready to put a link in this post but I couldn't find it either. Obviously I didn't post it yet!

I will though... it's excellent! And true to myself, I make it different every single time!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin