Monday, July 27, 2009

Gina's Wheatberry Salad

Number One and the boys and I went to his family reunion at the old family ranch house. We had a great time seeing/meeting all the cousins and their children, as well as most of Number One's aunts and uncles. All of the aunts are fabulous cooks, and each family group took turns preparing meals. This is one of Aunt Gina's delicious recipes, very refreshing and interesting. You'll like it!

Sorry, no photo, we were all too busy eating!!


Wheatberry Salad - serves 10-12

3 cups cooked wheatberries

1 ½ - 2 cups frozen corn

1 cup jicama, cut into 1/4" dice

1- 15 ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed

1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4" dice

½ cup medium salsa

1/4 cup red onion, 1/4" dice

2 tablespoon fresh parsley or 2 teaspoon dried parsley

2 tablespoon cilantro- finely chopped


Combine all together. Pour dressing over all and stir to coat. Chill until served.

Dressing

1/3 cup veg. oil

2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon or lime

1/4 cup white or red wine vinegar

1/4 cup sugar or Splenda

1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper


Mix or blend until well mixed. Pour over salad.


1 comment:

Annie said...

Thank you Mindy! I was just searching the net for this (or something similar) recipe with no luck. Then for some reason I thought "maybe Mindy put it on her blog" and ta-da! Because I couldn't just call my Mom, who I know has this recipe, that would have been too easy! Thank you, thank you! I plan on sharing the greatness of this salad with my in-laws!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin