1 pound dried pinto beans
¼ cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 jalapeño chiles, seeded, pithed, and minced
1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 ½ cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
Sour cream and tortilla chips
1. Rinse beans with cold water. Transfer to heavy large pot. Add enough water to cover by several inches. Let soak overnight. Drain beans. Rinse again in cold water.
2. Combine beans with water to cover by several inches in heavy large pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer until tender, adding hot water as necessary, about 1 to 3 hours. Drain beans thoroughly.
3. Rinse and dry heavy large pot used for beans and use to heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft, about 8 minutes.
4. Stir in chiles, entire can of tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, oregano rubbed between palms of your hands, and some salt. Increase heat to high and stir until liquid mostly evaporates.
5. Stir in drained beans. Add salt and pepper to taste.
6. Place half of bean mixture in 3-quart casserole dish. Top with Jack cheese. Add remaining bean mixture. Top with Cheddar cheese.
7. Bake in 375°F. about 30 minutes or until heated throughout.
8. Serve sour cream and tortilla chips alongside beans.