Time is up! Thank you for your entries!
DEADLINE EXTENDED!! ENTER BY October 30!!!
Winner will be announced this weekend.
My great-grandmother, Frances, at age 10.
I wonder when she learned to make her Ice Box Cookies,
that are still being made FOUR generations later?
I am currently working on a Family Cookbook, which has inspired this nostalgic contest. My mom and I have gathered recipes from aunts, cousins, uncles, grandmothers, etc. and it has been great to go through them, get them ready for the book, hear what people treasure about them.
I now have recipes that were passed down to my grandmother, Lorraine, from her mother, Frances, whom I never met; recipes from my other grandmother, Pauline, who died when I was eight, that I found in my mom's recipe box.
one that has some meaning to you and your family.
*If you ever debated sharing a "family secret" recipe,
now would be the time!*
I want to know:
- Which old-fashioned recipe, passed somehow through your family, is your favorite? It could be from your mom, your grandma, your great grandma, your aunt, your grandpa, whoever it may be that is older than you!
- Is it just a favorite of yours, or has it become a treasured favorite of the whole family?
- Who made it when you were little? Who gave you the recipe?
- Is it a tradition of some kind in your family?
- Does it show up at every family get-together?
- What memories do you have about this dish?
- What or whom do you think about when you're preparing this dish?
- Just what is it that makes this recipe special?
- Has the recipe evolved? Have you adapted it from the original or do you make it exactly like your grandma does/did?
Of course, I'm asking for the recipes, but also for your stories--the recipe's background, where the recipe came from, who gave it to you, why you love it.
The winner selection will be completely subjective, based both on the recipe and the story behind it. So bring 'em on.
The prize, because it can't be a contest without one, will be this beautiful, old-fashioned style Cheese Spreader/Knife Set by Cambridge Silversmiths. This is a four-piece, fine stainless set in lovely red that is dishwasher safe. It is beautiful, can make any cheese plate feel more special, and would be a nice addition to your kitchen.
I am setting a generous EXTENDED deadline of
October 30th, 2008, at midnight PST.
**If you are not currently a member of The Bad Girl's Kitchen, you may leave your recipes as comments on this post for faster entry, OR go here to request a Bad Girl invitation in order to post directly on this website.**